Monday, March 30, 2009

Twilight

I did it. I watched Twilight. And I'm speechless. I'll write a bit here, but I'm skirting around the movie instead of confronting it directly.

I'd rather watch Let the Right One In ten more times than watch Twilight even once more.

But, I can't bring myself to write that Twilight is a bad movie. It's not. It succeeds in pretty much everything it attempts to do.

I just can't find any access point. Twilight is a bizarre pop culture phenomenon that only too clearly illustrates how truly divorced I am from the mind of the average 21st century American teenage girl.

I disliked Let the Right One In, but I think that I understood it. It spoke directly to me, to the child that I was and to the man that I am now. There was a communion of sorts between me and it, even if we both reject each other in the end.

Twilight
, I can only approach as an outsider. It is entirely alien to me. I can't even stand up to it to reject it. I just need to walk away and shake my head for a long while.

2 comments:

brando said...

I'm actually relieved that you disliked Twilight. And your parting words with Let the Right One In were beautiful. I think that a lot of folks who championed that particular film (including me) give artsy horror films too much credit for accomplishing very little. Look at The Descent, a film that I love for its shear viscera. Critics were trying to finds words and metaphors to make it something that it wasn't (the cave is a metaphor for you know what). It, like most great horror films, scratched an itch.. plain and simple.

I really like the Solaris re-imagining. I don't have any problems with flashbacks, especially not the ones in this film though Tarkovsky's "sequoia" did a splendid job of staying unassuming. I really liked the soundtrack. What about you?

Monsters and Aliens makes me sad, even though I haven't seen it. It's depressing to think that a movie costing so much money and taking so much time and attention to detail would ultimately be disposable. Think about how many computer animated films were made in the last ten years and then think about the ones that you would watch again. It just seems like a waste of time and money to me. I do think that you are being too tough on Seth Rogan. Would you rather have Rob Schneider or Dane Cook dominating the box office? Although, you do have a valid point, his schtick is hitting a brick wall. I'm not sure if he has much variety in his arsenal.

Adventureland is actually supposed to be good a la Dazed and Confused or American Graffiti. I'm also stoked about Goodbye Solo, Sugar, and Treeless Mountain to name a few fancy independent features. And you are right about the geeky summer ahead except for the Wolverine which looks terrible to me. Terminator actually looks pretty great and we will both be gushing about UP. I'm stoked about Michael Mann's Public Enemies, and have to be honest about my excitement for Inglorious Basterds. Do I need to grow up, or am I just hoping for Robert Aldrich to possess Tarantino's body and mind? I guess I'm just happy to see a holocaust film completely opposite to The Reader.

trawlerman said...

I totally forgot to mention the Solaris score. I really meant to do so. Yes, I agree. It has a tremendously good score/soundtrack.

I'm interested in seeing all of the pics that you mention, even Adventureland, especially Public Enemies. And Inglourious Basterds. Frankly, after seeing the trailer for Inglourious Basterds, it shot up in the ranks to be one of my most anticipated movies of this Summer. Really. I totally share in your hopes AND fears.