Thursday, December 31, 2009

It's here.

Top Ten 2009

1) A Serious Man (Coen)
2) The Limits of Control (Jarmusch)
3) Munyurangabo (Chung)
4) Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino) 
5) Moon (Jones)
6/7) Still Walking/Summer Hours (Koreeda/Assayas)
8/9) Ponyo/Up (Miyazaki/Docter)
10) Drag Me to Hell (Raimi)

Honorable: Adventureland, Beeswax, The Big Community, Food Inc., The Hurt Locker, Julie & Julia, Public Enemies, Sugar, Timecrimes, Two Lovers, Visioneers, The Yes Men Fix the World

And my favorite non-2009, non-2008 releases that I caught on DVD for the first time this year:
 
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (Cassavetes)
In a Lonely Place (Ray)
La moustache (Carrere)
F For Fake (Welles)
Dawn of the Dead (Romero)
The Plumber (Weir)
Blast of Silence (Baron)
Lancelot du Lac (Bresson)
The Seventh Continent (Haneke)
Dear Wendy (Vinterberg)
It Happened One Night (Capra)

1 comment:

82jp said...

You know, I may be going out on a limb here, John, but I think you may find something worthwhile in Avatar. And treat yourself and see it at the IMAX. I am by no means an IMAX aficionado- I catch a flick there on average once every two years. But this was really an astounding experience.
I think Ethan would very likely enjoy the old Holmes films, especially since he very much wanted to but didn't get to see the RDJr. version that came out recently. Small consolation, perhaps, but consolation nonetheless.
And I am very faithful about logging my films watched on flixster, averaging at least a sentence per film. Why is thus not good enough? Why can you not bring yourself to stoop to my level and comment every now and then? Hmmm?