Friday, April 10, 2009

Ehh, what's up, doc

Still Life broke my heart. Up the Yangtze bored me. I really had to struggle to care. Maybe it's because I'm a cold callous heartless individual when it comes to caring about "real" people. Maybe. I'm not feeling up to examining any "whys" right now.

Man on Wire is mildly entertaining, but felt too long with a lot of stuffing and not all that much to chew on.

I'm a grouch and I guess I don't like documentaries.

I thought the latest episode of Warriors was pretty freaking awesome.
http://www.history.com/video.do?name=warriors&bcpid=12040020001&bclid=17037604001&bctid=17048184001

Son of Rambow is better than Be Kind Rewind at promoting a DIY film-making culture. Both movies share some of the same magic, but I think that Rambow does a better job of showing how bad(ly good) home movies often are. I smiled a lot, which is the best compliment I can give the film.


Chances are good that almost every single person that stumbles upon this post will have seen at least one Peter Weir film. Master and Commander. The Truman Show. Fearless. Green Card. Dead Poets Society. The Mosquito Coast. Witness. He's been a big name talent in the U.S. for at least 20 years now and has always been one of my favorite "auteurs", from way back before I could tell you what that word means.

Up until this past week, the only Australian (pre-Hollywood) film of his that I had seen was Picnic at Hanging Rock. Only Picnic and one other early film have received the Criterion treatment, but all are worthy, especially the one I just finished watching.

The Plumber is a perfect horror film. A very well-to-do intellectual woman, wife of a researcher/professor, has become a housewife while finishing her own anthropological studies. While her husband is away at work, a man comes to their apartment, claiming to be the university's plumber, there to check the pipes in their university apartment. Horror ensues. The psychological tension explored here provides a backdrop for discussing issues of culture, class, interpersonal relationships, and human vulnerability. I've never seen a bad Weir film. The Plumber is one of his best.

No comments: