Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rawhide is great. Jack Elam is perfect.




Rawhide is a fairly simple story of a way station captured by escaped convicts hoping to rob the next stagecoach that comes through carrying cash. What really marks the film as a notch above the rest are the great performances by everyone involved, but especially by Elam, the "only real villain in the film," as Abigail pointed out during the first two scenes that he shows up. I know I'm biased toward liking Westerns like this, but I really have to admit that watching Rawhide was one of the most fun experiences I've had watching movies so far this year. No apologies. It's just a good "old-time" Western story. Call it a soap opera for men if you must, but there's not much soap around for miles and the only singing is of the folksy variety, plus there's enough gun slinging and firing to quiet the critics. I'm thinking of taking a stagecoach West.

2 comments:

brando said...

if the day ever comes that I ask for an apology for "old western" love kick me square in the half pants. There isn't a purer genre. I'll be sure to check this one out.

Abigail said...

Bozeman or bust!