Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Is our children learning? Am I learning?


Oliver Stone loves George W. Bush. I know. I was surprised, too.

I submit as evidence the film W. It is a generous and affectionate portrait of a unique individual. Bush is portrayed as a deeply flawed man, but he is never reviled. Maybe pitied; always loved. He is portrayed as arrogant, but tormented internally. Charming, but tongue-tied. Determined, but insecure. Smart, but naïve. Always sincere.

Stone’s Bush is complex. He is not a buffoon and he is not a personification of evil. He is a conflicted man who did the things he did and made the choices he made in good faith, not always for the right reasons, but for the reasons consistent with his own personal beliefs and worldview.

There are many funny scenes. Satirical to an extent, but never cynical. I was impressed by how tactful and respectful Stone is. The impersonations are all great and each actor seems to be giving his and her best. The personalities veer into caricature at times, but that even seems appropriate for a biopic examining current lives and events.

The music in the film is perfect, establishing an undercurrent of levity and humor. The music solidifies the tone of the film, working counterpoint to the images, often adding an additional subversive layer of commentary to the narrative. I’d argue that Stone does all of his criticizing with music while he’s telling a story that gives Bush more than a fair representation.

I do believe that the “real life” Bush ‘s administration was damaging to our country (though it’s arguable whether it was any more or less so than other recent administrations). I’m fairly certain that Oliver Stone believes this as well. What Oliver Stone has taught me here is to remember to be gracious toward every man, especially toward those who may least deserve it.

Go figure. I loved an Oliver Stone picture.

“Politics is not a library. It’s ass-kicking skull-crushing war and I’m losing.”

1 comment:

brando said...

To echo your sentiments towards Bruno, I have no desire to see this. I've made it no secret that Stone is among my list of least favorite directors. I also think that we are too close to those eight horrible years to shed any light on the subject. Still, you make a compelling case for the picture. Maybe I'll give it a try. Although, I'm not sure that Bush out of all people deserves this kind of compassion. He certainly didn't care to offer it to others.

Once again, It's good to have you back in nerd world.