Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Conversations 1

Conversations 1

I've decided to start a new post "category" that is distinct from my stated purpose of writing about each film that I see.  Basically, these "conversations" posts will be my new way of reacting to what Brandon has posted and any other comments here or elsewhere or just whatever.  Like, have you heard that Tree of Life is definitely being pushed back and won't be my Christmas present this year?

Matt, I know you're there.  Start writing about the movies you're watching.  You'll feel better.

Brandon, I hope that Antichrist had some redeeming value.  I'm only half sorry that I couldn't make it tonight.  I'm having plenty of fun working the C St. Apts. where the place has been put quarantined and three persons here have bad flu symptoms.  I alreay have 11 hours overtime for the week so I was going to see if I could leave early and come over, but I'm stuck here.  I was already waffling on whether or not I cared to see the film anyway.  Between the Film Comment article and Jim Emerson's post about it, I'd convinced myself that it's not worth seeing, but, of course, I'm still curious, mostly because I want to be hip to the current storm around the film and throw out my own worthless opinion.

I respect Cronenberg.  I need to rewatch The Fly.  I saw it when I was young, but it didn't scar me, so maybe I saw a "modified for TV" cut.

I don't think that I could make a list of favorite horror films.  I found Dawn of the Dead oddly moving earlier this year, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head that I'd put anywhere near personal "essentials" territory.

It was good to read your Where the Wild Things Are review.  I'm really not sure whether I'll take my girls to see it or not. i may see it first, then probably send Abby with the two oldest.  The second oldest, Annie, is a monster fanatic.  What do you think about the appropriateness for 7 and 5 year olds?

About Gibson's Passion, I have to confess that I have never been a big fan.  I do think it works for what it is, though, and I'll defend it against its most vocal critics.  Gibson is indeed an auteur, exploring ideas of masculinity and violence.  I even think that beyond the themes, he also has a narrative/visual style of his own.  He's always interesting and I'll check out his films each time he makes one.

I'm planning on watching/re-watching all of Tarantino's films over the next few months. I'm eager to see what I think of Pulp Fiction after the distance of over ten years.

I skipped Lost In Translation when it came out and don't feel much of a need to see it, but I could be convinced.  The Virgin Suicides was a huge disappointment to me, especially since I loved the Air soundtrack and listened to it a lot before the film was released.  Ms. Coppolla fell off my radar and Lost In Translation just looked too precious.

28 Days Later, on the other hand, was the delightful second half of a double feature (after Open Range) at the Buffalo Drive-In.  That was a great night out at the movies.

I'm quarantined myself so I don't think I'm allowed up at the Pond, but I'll be bringing movies to you soon.  I'm looking forward to you seeing Stalker.  

1 comment:

82jp said...

28 Days Later is quite the followup to Open Range...