Sunday, October 25, 2009

Conversations 2

Conversations 2

I just had my first experience, with my iPod, accidentally deleting the words that I spent twenty minutes typing. Oh well.

Jason Poole, have you watched any more Westerns? Get away from Facebook and start writing about what you're watching. I need your authoritative word on Zombie Strippers From Hell.

Brandon, thanks for the long horror movie lists. I intend to extend my horror marathon past its initial five film run and get to all of those movies that you listed. There are also other lists from the original thread that started all this that I intend to get to. I'm going to share your lists there. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/429921

I'm definitely going to follow your Abbot and Costello advice. I've been having a great time watching Melies' films with the girls. My girls (especially Annie) love the French Magician. They also enjoyed watching The Kid a couple of weeks ago. We've been talking about watching the Dwan/Fairbanks silent Robin Hood for a while. Usually a couple of quick Loony Tunes/Merrie Melodies or an episode of Fraggle Rock beats out all competition.

It's funny to remember now that when I started this blog, I was planning on checking out all of the Terrence Fisher Hammer horror. My first post here last year was about his first film.

Fred, I don't know if you ever still read any of this, but I've been meaning to let you know that I've been thinking about different ways to adapt A Choice of Gods as a radio play. It's still one of the best books I've read all year. I'm hoping to re-read it before the year is over.

1 comment:

brando said...

We are nearly 11 months into the year and Harry Potter is the only major disagreement we’ve had. I’m impressed. I don’t think my original post was accurate in conveying my thoughts and feelings about the film. I was treading lightly, being surrounded by fans of the book doesn’t help matters, but I have to stand by a lot of what I said. I don’t think very highly of the series outside of the fact that it has gotten kids reading (no small accomplishment) and Alfonso Cuaron made a nifty film because of it. This film felt a little unearned, and I would argue that the whole thing feels akin to a television series that fluctuates in quality. There is no central creative force behind the direction and it often lacks a signature beyond the returning actors. Still, I think this film had moments of earned emotion, specifically the one where Harry talked with the professor about his mother. It’s anti-climactic however and I’ve always felt cold towards these films. I’m trying not to let you talk me out of liking this one.

The horror films I’m writing about are by no means my favorite, though some of them are. I just find that horror is a genre full of forgotten entries as critics and audiences lap up the self importance of middlebrow dramas. The same fate has befallen punk music as it tends to focus on a subdivision of thought and often visits themes that are decidedly unsexy. I’ve always admired the way horror approaches issues, the same issues as many Oscar winning dramas, and doesn’t tiptoe around them. This is also horror’s greatest handicap as it is an expectation to push the envelope, often in fruitless attempts to shock and disgust. But I usually find that horror used to produce mindless morality tales about science (The Fly (Vincent Price), THEM!) political (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing From Another World) or social issues (Bride of Frankenstein, Village of the Damned) whereas now these messages come in a heavy-handed glum shell. This is why DRAG ME TO HELL was such a delight.

Abbott and Costello are very special to me. The first film I remember watching was ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN. It was a revelation. I can’t wait to hear what your daughter thinks.

I’m attempting to watch ANTICHRIST this Wednesday. I’m getting less and less excited about it.