Sunday, July 25, 2010

I'm a creep

I'm done with Inception.  A much more interesting film is the Hughes Brothers' The Book of Eli.  As usual, I recommend going in with as little knowledge of the film as possible.  In a better world, us three would have seen Book of Eli its opening weekend and a great storm of posts would have ensued.  Without going into any details, I'll just say that Book of Eli is not "perfect" or a "masterpiece," but it is extremely interesting (to me, at least) and a lot of fun.  See it.

I also caught up with Green Zone and found it satisfying enough.  We may be too close to the events depicted to be able to enjoy being entertained by them.

The A-Team movie succeeds where Green Zone fails.  Almost non-stop goofy fun (though the last half hour drags a bit), the film also manages to comment on everything from the privatization of war to the limits of civil authority in determining "truth" and enforcing justice. 

And the flying tank scene is ridiculously awesome.

I must have just lost whatever last shred of highbrow credibility I may have ever had. 

And I watched Baghead.  I almost turned it off a couple of times in the beginning and middle, trying to convince myself that the best way to get through my DVDs is to just not watch a movie past the first 20 minutes if I'm not interested by then.  

I didn't turn it off.  I kept watching.  The forgiveness at the end is a delight. Even if I'll never watch Baghead again, I'm glad I didn't give up on it.

I'm doing okay with weeding my DVDs (I've got a box with a few dozen titles ready to go to the store that will pay me a buck or two a piece for them).  I still have hope that I'll have Netflix back by the end of the year (thanks for rubbing it in my face with your Wii post, Brandon!) and I'm pretty sure that I have my DVD buying addiction under control now.  With a couple of notable exceptions already written about here, I've refrained from all DVD buying in the past couple of months, passing by $5 bins and shelves with only the most cursory painful glances.  I was in Hollywood Video twice in its last two weeks open and resisted major temptations each time (though why did I think it was okay to go in these stores?  I'm an idiot.)  

Netflix, we shall be reunited soon!  Wait for me, darling!

P.s.
I just watched the Social Network trailer.  I'll go see the movie because it's Fincher and Eisenberg and because others are excited, but the trailer didn't do anything for me.  Sorry.

No comments: