Saturday, September 18, 2010

P.S.

David Bordwell is the master at writing at an academic level in a popular style.

His most recent post (about two films I haven't seen and have little interest in) is a wonderful example of the sort of best kind of film criticism available.  If you don't like Bordwell, then you and I may have to get into a fistfight.

Read this: http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=10077

Related to my previous post, I want to make clear that there are a lot of bad critics out there, both in academic circles and especially in the journalism/reviewer end of the spectrum.  Maybe you've just been exposed to all the wrong people.

It's funny that you mention seminary.  I had written a theology analogy to explain my position on film criticism, but scrapped it.  Maybe I'll rewrite it and post it.

No comments: