Monday, February 21, 2011

Slow Time

I haven't been out to a cinema since new year's. I've been tempted to see True Grit again now that it's at the Cinema Saver, but otherwise there hasn't been much playing locally (even including Cornell) that I care about seeing.

At home,

Abigail and I finished Smallville Season 2. There were a couple of decent episodes (the Christopher Reeves episode is tops) and the whole thing ends on a great note.

We did check out one more 1929 flick, They Had to See Paris, but I'll get to that in the next 1929 post.

I watched The Hidden Fortress with the girls. What can I say about this proven classic? Kurosawa knows how to direct great adventure. It's not nearly Adventures of Robin Hood level of family-friendly adventure, but it has more than enough of its own charms and the girls definitely appreciated the humor a LOT more than I did.

To be honest, I haven't watched many films recently and I haven't really cared about blogging, as evidenced by this pathetic post. Brandon is putting us all to shame with his last couple of posts.

My February viewing in review:
Dexter!
Smallville!
Broadway Melody, Woman in the Moon, They Had to See Paris
Vengeance
The Hidden Fortress
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Oh yeah, Uncle Boonmee. How could I forget? I was planning on writing up a long time traveling Cannes post just like I've been meaning to respond to Brandon's posts. Good intentions don't read very well.

Uncle Boonmee. I like it a lot and there's plenty to write about, but I can't shake this writing laziness. I'll wait for Brandon to write something up on it, then respond if we have any major differences. For now, I'll just say that I appreciated its easy sense of humor and lack of earnestness and the way its images/ideas are presented in a context of matter-of-factness. I'll never look at a catfish again in quite the same way.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Yeah, I haven't had the time to see much or post much lately. If you end up going to see True Grit, let me know and I'll join you if I can. After reading the old posts from you and Brandon, I feel like I need to see it again before stepping into the ring.