Wednesday, May 30, 2012

End of the Month Reckoning

I'll briefly mention The Saint Takes Over since I forgot to write about it. It's always a good time at BCF and this time was no exception. I was glad to take my dad with me and it was great to see a nice no-nonsense crime film with plenty of action, a few twists, a light sense of humor, and a dash of doomed romance.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits, in its best moments, reminded me of a Marx Brothers film. There's a lot of silly wordplay and odd happenings, but it's smarter than the odd and non sequitur heavy humor of CN kids programming. Pirates gives us plenty of silliness and throws in Charles Darwin, Queen Victoria, and Jane Austen, too. I had a good time while watching it.

Make Way For Tomorrow is definitely one of the best. Beyond its generation gap commentary, I love how ell it works as a love story. This is one of the great onscreen romances of all time. And what a great cast! This one may become one of My Essentials. I need to watch it a couple more times.

Speaking of My Essentials, I owe you all an Adventures of Robin Hood post. I watched it a few weeks ago, but never got around to writing that post. I'll watch it again before the year is over and write that post.

Finally, TV Club.

I'm done with Smallville Season 6 and probably completely done with Smallville. If six seasons was good enough for adolescent Chris, then it's good enough for me.

The Wire Season 2 is even better than The Wire Season 1. Sometimes, I got the feeling that Amy Ryan's character was only there to smile. Then, I thought, "You know what? I'm cool with that. Amy Ryan should sit in the background of more shows and just smile."

I'm two episodes into Season 3 and have at least momentarily lost interest. The Wire is no longer the same without Ryan's smile.

That's about it.

I've skipped all of The Innkeepers talk because I'd like to see it eventually.

I'll watch Funny Games again eventually. I'm not at all sure what Brandon means when he quotes me on the "beauty of suffering." I probably said something like that, but, if I did, I no longer know what I meant by it in a Funny Games context.

I cancelled Netflix a few weeks ago. I'm going to try to focus, at least temporarily, on watching the mountain of DVDs that I own.

No comments: