Saturday, September 29, 2012

2012: Total Bummer Edition

Looper became my most anticipated film of the year after seeing this season's Rian Johnson directed episode of Breaking Bad. Unfortunately, my opinion of Johnson remains unchanged. He's a much better director than he is a writer.

Looper was a huge disappointment. Which is too bad because for the first five or so minutes I was grinning ear to ear, thinking this MUST be the glorious masterpiece of the year that I've been waiting to love.

I guess I'm a bit of a time travel snob. I do really enjoy all three of the Back to the Future movies, but they're silly and hardly make sense. Looper follows the BttF model of time travel and tries to do so with a serious straight face. If I'm going to watch this kind of goofiness, I need a Huey Lewis soundtrack.

I can't go into any more detail without getting into spoilers. Maybe I'll get into it if one of you comes back loving the movie.

Before heading home last night, I hit a Redbox and got a copy of Damsels in Distress since Abby hadn't seen it yet. Watching Damsels again was a good palate cleanser. I haven't changed my mind since my last review so I direct y'all there.

I'm not too optimistic about the rest of 2012. It's been kind of a bummer year so far. Brandon would probably point out that I always feel this way this time of year and that there's good yet to come. Okay. I guess. Still, I'm bummed at the moment.

No comments: