Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Jeffy's Quiz

Trying not to spend too much time on this. You all can mock me as you will. Here are the answers that come quick.

1. Best use of Technicolor on film? (Best use of color, period, will work).

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman is the movie I think of when I think of Technicolor. Technicolor was made for mythic melodrama.

2. What’s your favorite film score? Favorite film composer?

Score: Dead Man Walking
Composer: Ennio Morricone

3. What’s your favorite film from the year you were born?

Stalker.

4. Robert Mitchum or Dana Andrews?

Mitchum

5. (In terms of acting) Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby? David Bowie or Tom Waits?

Bing.
Waits.

6. What’s your favorite film with a woman’s name in the title?

I can't think of any off the top of my head so I'll go with the previously mentioned Pandora and the Flying Dutchman. It's right up there as a favorite anyways.

7. Who is your favorite foreign-language film director working today? Who is your favorite foreign-language film director of all time?

Today: Hayao Miyazaki
All-Time: Andrei Tarkovsky

8. If you could have written any screenplay, what would it be and why?

I have a really tough time answering questions like this. I'm not envious of others' success and have never seriously tried to write a screenplay. Trying to engage with the spirit of the question, though, I guess I'd say Adventureland. Because it's a screenplay that I admire and that I could have possibly written if I had ever worked at an amusement park. Which I never did.

9. Name the character from a film that scared you the most as a child. Name the film character, if any, that scares you the most now.

Child: Mombi from Return to Oz.
Now: Walter White

10. What’s the first R Rated film you remember seeing?

I can't remember. We had HBO and I watched all sorts of things at a young age that I shouldn't have been watching.

11. Name your favorite moment of vengeance in a film. And which film has portrayed the complexity of vengeance most accurately to you? (interpret that any way you’d like).

I've been thinking about Decision at Sundown since reading a review of it yesterday. That's my pick. I might watch it again soon and write about it.

12. It is okay to depict a positive story out of something as horrific and destructive as the Holocaust (e.g. SCHINDLER’S LIST). Agree or disagree with this statement.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean something like a musical comedy about the trials and tribulations of gas chamber maintenance and mass grave digging in outrageously rocky soil? Or do you mean something more mundane like Life is Beautiful or Inglourious Basterds or even Defiance or Valkyrie?

13. Which war film, if any, has had the greatest emotional impact on you?

Joyeux Noel. It is a very powerful film.

14. Name the top five *best looking* films you’ve ever seen.

I can't do this off of the top of my head. Sorry that I'm so lame.

15. Which film title would you use to describe yourself? Which film title would you use to describe each member of film club?

This is going to take way too much time to do right. I'll be sure to be entertained when I read everyone else's great ideas.

16. David Lynch or David Cronenberg?

Cronenberg.

17. Is there a book you would like to see currently made into a film? If so, by which director?

I've previously suggested that I'd like to see Linklater adapt Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. I'll go with that. I'd love to see Aaron Katz direct a series of Inspector Maigret adaptations.

18. What’s the most overrated film of the 90s?

I don't know. Dances With Wolves?

19. You are a guest programmer on Turner Classic Movies. You get to choose any four movies to play. What are they?

Terror in a Texas Town
Force of Evil
3:10 to Yuma
Passport to Pimlico

20. It’s Ark time. You are only allowed to save films from one country (excluding the United States). Which country and why?

France. Probably because I've seen more French films than any other country's films.

No comments: