Tuesday, September 8, 2009

5 minutes at the library

Brandon, it was a relief to read your Moon review and to know that you liked it. I felt fairly confident that you would, but I was also prepared to exchange blows if it came to that. Fred, you need to see it. And Fred, I was a jerk and never got around to it, but Thank You for posting your A Choice of Gods piece. I'll be sure to call you to score the film once my producer gives me the clearance saying that we have the fifty million dollar budget to go ahead with the project.

I'm sad to say that I haven't made it to Basterds yet, but I still intend to see it. It's too long for me to see it before work, the times haven't been right for me to see it after work, and now that I've been doing the Cornell thing I don't have time to see other movies on my days off (at least not without Abby killing me for being a bozo absentee husband). Grizzly Man is a great movie. Starting at the end of this week, I'm going to begin posting my top ten lists for the last 10 years. I've got them all mostly done and am ready to share.

As a note to myself, I want to congratulate myself on writing at least one sentence about EVERY SINGLE MOVIE that I've seen in 2009 (with the ever-present exception of the half a dozen or so films that I've recently watched and am behind on writing about). The only things missing here are television shows (mostly Lost), short films (lots of WB cartoons and quite a few silent shorts from a Kino collection), and various things that I only get to watch bits and pieces of at work, including es of TCM, baseball games, the evening news, and bad stand-up. There's too much visual media to keep up with, but I've been faithful to writing about each feature film. Hooray for me.

All of this just to say that I'm glad that I haven't given up on this blog despite my long period of library-only Internet access. It's brought me some enjoyment and made me, sometimes, clarify my thoughts more than I would have otherwise.

I was going to wait until I'd seen Inglourious Basterds, but I don't want to wait any more.

Here is my off-the-top-of-my-head-post-bad-summer-movie-pre-fall-art-film-season-top-five-of-2009-so-far-list.

1) Moon
2) Summer Hours
3&4) Ponyo/Up
5) Drag Me to Hell

Honorable Mentions (or numbers 6 and 7 out of 5): Adventureland, Public Enemies

1 comment:

brando said...

let's hope that we don't ever exchange blows again. The Let the Right One In debate diminished me. I love reading this blog, you should be proud of yourself.

We played a film festival this weekend! A FILM FESTIVAL! We were invited to open the Rooftop Film Festival on Saturday where we got to see some impressive shorts from filmmakers that I'm sure will be making acclaimed feature length pictures in no time. I could talk about all of them (there were a few duds of course) but I want to point you in the direction of three filmmakers who really made an impression on me. The first and the foremost had to be Jeff Desom from Luxembourg with his hauntingly beautiful MORGENROT. I’m not sure if it’s available on you tube but it is definitely one of my favorite films so far this year. AMAZING! The second film is called EXPECTING by Chris Ohlson from Austin Texas. It seemed the crowd favorite, it was cute and clever and featured impressive acting by the two person cast. The final film I want to shower with praise was POLAR by Michael Koch from Germany. The film was 29 minutes long and felt like it was on its way to becoming a feature length film. Out of all of the films, this one and MORGENROT had your name all over it.

The festival was run by our friend Mark Rosenberg, who has had a hand in many film festivals including Sundance and has programmed film screenings all over the world. The man doesn’t collect a cent. Check it out: http://www.rooftopfilms.com/summerseries.html