Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Chump at the NYS Fair


I'm not a big fan of the Great New York State Fair. In fact, I mostly hate it. It's my luck then that Abby and the girls look forward to it all year, enjoy the day we go immensely, then talk about how great it was all year until they start talking about next year's fair. Bah.

For my time and money, the best hour of the fair was a screening of A Chump at Oxford. No one wanted to come with me except for Annie. Her and I had a lot of fun and my favorite moments were when she'd be laughing hysterically while the rest of the audience was silent.

A Chump at Oxford is as funny as anything else I've seen with Laurel and Hardy. My only complaint about the film was that it seemed to be pieced together from two sections that only partially flowed together. Reading up about the film, I discovered that this is because twenty minutes were added to the film for a European release. It's good at 60 minutes, which is what I saw, but I think it would have been even better as the pared down 40 min. featurette that it once was. That said, besides the final joke about Hardy's chin(s), those 20 minutes at the beginning are among the funniest in the film. Laurel in drag, so obviously a man, had me hooting. And I don't hoot often!

No comments: