Thursday, September 17, 2009

Work.

Seeing Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm with a crowd of folks who were all equally excited helped confirm that cinema usher is indeed my dream job.

After watching Lawrence, I started thinking about parallels with Soderbergh's Che. The two characters seemed more similar to me than I would have ever, apart from these cinematic representations, previously thought. It might border on cinematic sacrilege for me to write it, but Soderbergh's film is at least as good as Lean's epic. I'd love to spend a day watching them both together. What a double feature!

The 39 Steps is still a lot of fun and I was glad to have the chance to see a good 35mm print after the terrible DVD projection at Bundy earlier in the year. I only wish that Abby could have been with me again.

Tulpan is one of the biggest disappointments of the year so far. It received nearly universal praise, but I was indifferent. I loved the depictions of yurt life, but I was turned off by the earnest ethnic cuteness. If Americans weren't so hesitant about foreign films with subtitles, Tulpan could be the same kind of hit as something like My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I'm a bit confused about the title of this post, but that's neither here nor there.
I would have really liked to be at 'work' with you to have seen Lawrence. Will they have another showing?

trawlerman said...

Unfortunately, Lawrence of Arabia was a one-night-only engagement. I actually think that you were out of town that Sunday, but maybe not.

I'll let you know if anything else manly pops up on the schedule.

If you could find a babysitter for this Sunday night, Moon is playing. I've only seen it once, but it's my favorite movie of the year so far.