Friday, November 6, 2009

Frustrated yet.

The Muppet Movie is not as good as my memories of it, but it's still a lot of fun.  It was up there in the ranks of most watched films of my childhood.  I owned the soundtrack record as well and listened to it often.  I think that my girls liked the parts with Animal the best, but they generally liked it all.

I watched The Muppet Movie Monday night with my family as a way of washing clean another disappointing night at Cornell.

Departures starts strong.  I started to be charmed by its general likeableness.  Here, I thought, was the film I needed to cheer me up.

To my great dismay, the film falls apart after about half an hour and out-hollywoods Hollywood with its sickeningly sweet maudlin sentimentality which is hurled at us in the most manipulative ways.  I'd rather puke for an hour.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex struck me as a largely useless hipster presentation.  The soundtrack choices are awful.  By the time Dylan's Blowing In The Wind is playing over the end credits, I was ready to take some direct political action and either blow up the German studio that made this or blow off my own head for having sat through it.  I knew I should have gotten up and left the moment that the words "this is a true story" appeared on the screen.  Not even "based on.". Nope.  This film IS a true story.  What terrible audacity.  I wanted to hurl a rotten potato at the screen.  Screw you, Complex.  Pandora and the Flying Dutchman has more truth in any single frame than you could ever hope to achieve.

Dang it, I ended another night at the Cinema angry.  At least there's The Muppet Movie.    

No comments: