Friday, December 10, 2010

Disney Daze

This list is the best I could do. I've seen and like all of the films that you mention. Here's my top 10 non-animated feature length Disney films. A lot of these are co-productions between Disney and some other studio, but I'm going there because you went there first by including The Straight Story. If these co-productions weren't options for this list, then there would be a lot more "classic" Disney films on my list

Here goes...

10) The Absent-Minded Professor/Son of Flubber
I thought that these were really funny when I was a kid. These are probably among the earliest black and white films that I've ever seen.

9) Inspector Gadget
This is a bit of a contrarian pick. I haven't seen it since its theatrical release, but I remember being blown away by how much fun this picture is. Seriously underrated (though I'm afraid to see it again and maybe be proven wrong).

8) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
I like this adaptation more than most other Lewis fans. There are a few really magical moments that perfectly capture the feel of the book.

7) The Rookie
This is up there with the best baseball films of all time.

6) The Shaggy Dog/The Shaggy D.A.
These pleased me to no end when I was a child.

5) Pirates of the Caribbean (all three of them)
Listen to the following interview, at about the 16 minute mark...
http://www.bookotron.com/agony/news/2010/12-06-10-podcast.htm#podcast120610
I'm really looking forward to On Stranger Tides: The Movie even if Disney/Bruckheimer screw everything up.

4) Popeye
I thought this movie was magic when I was a kid. I haven't seen it since, but I have become a huge fan of the original Segar comic strips.

3) The Parent Trap
As noted earlier, this is one of those films that I can't shake at this point even if I wanted to.

2) The Straight Story
Probably the best film that Disney has ever been involved with. Definitely Lynch's best. The score, by Angelo Badalamenti, is among the best movie music of all time. Seriously.

1) Return to Oz
I first saw this when I was six years old and many, many times since. I don't know if that's too young or not. I haven't let my girls watch it yet. I don't know. Walter Murch is a master; the man behind the sounds and shape of images of some of the significant films of the past few decades. I wish he had directed more than this one gem.

No comments: