Sunday, January 6, 2013

Letterboxd Post

Amour 2012
★★★½ Watched 06 Jan, 2013

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

The entire film was ruined for me by the sentimental sludge of an ending. We get a murder (assisted suicide, if you must), followed by some bird-brained symbolism, then a long-awaited reunion. Up until the ending, I'm mostly in agreement with Jeffrey's evaluation of the film.

The Wild One 1953
★★★★ Watched 06 Jan, 2013

Brandon gave this to me on DVD way back when. Maybe 2009. I just got around to watching it.
Brando's "What've ya got?" is one of the greatest lines delivered in cinema history.
Mary Murphy, an actress I'd never heard of, is wonderful to behold as the good small town girl that trips up Brando's bad boy. There's a bizarre garden scene in which Murphy strokes Brando's motorcycle in the best Code fashion, expressing a barely contained lust for life that needs an outlet beyond the squares she serves at the local cafe.

No comments: