Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Edge of you're completely wrong.

I think that we'll just have to disagree about Edge of Darkness.  I can't convince you that something works emotionally if you don't feel it.  I do wonder if it makes any difference that I'm the father of a bunch of daughters.  That could be the obvious reason why I'm more easily swayed by this material, because I'm bringing emotions to the film that you aren't.

Also, to be clear that we're talking about the same thing, I'm not talking exclusively about the actual moment of death as much as I am talking about Gibson's character's response to it, both initially and over the course of the rest of the film.

I am a bit surprised that you're so enamored with The Ghost Writer.  You took issue when I lumped it together with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  I would rank Ghost a bit higher, but I also think that Dragon does a bunch of things right (for example, the whole parade photo sequence) that you gloss over.  Both are competently made adult thrillers that are decent enough entertainment.  I just don't think either one really demands a second viewing.  This may be primarily because I feel that both are lacking the sort of moral heartbeat that I see evidenced in similarly smart adult movies like Farewell and Edge of Darkness.  We obviously disagree, but I'm already thinking of watching Edge of Darkness again while the only time I think about Ghost Writer anymore is when you bring it up.

Edge of Darkness has the same sort of lively intensity as the best late '40s b-level noir.  I just don't see the problem with the corporate corruption line that the film takes.  It's nothing new, but it's played straight and it's played well.  I'm not sure what your issue is here.

I'm not going to defend it any more until I see it again.

I've got nothing really new to add to the horror discussion.  I'll write something if I lose my mind and go see Piranha 3D. 

The only film I've seen since my last post is Hot Tub Time Machine.  It's no worse than the bad 80s films it is so adoringly paying homage to and structured after, but it's also not any better.  It's just barely worth watching for the running one-armed Crispin Glover gag.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Greenberg.

No comments: