Thursday, August 5, 2010

Elmer Kelton

What kind of world do we live in when Elmer Kelton dies and it takes a guy on the East Coast nearly a year to find out about it? You'd think the news was delivered via pony express.

That's life without the Internet, I guess. I know it's unrealistic in a time in which the Western is out of favor, but I would have liked to have heard a news story about it at the time. Michael Jackson got a few months. Kelton can't even rate a day?



In the course of the morning/mourning, I've discovered that The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada wasn't the first film Tommy Lee Jones directed. His first film was a Kelton adaptation for TV, The Good Old Boys. There's no DVD available and I can't find any torrents, which is a bummer. In better news, I discovered that Tommy Lee Jones's next directorial project will be an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Sunset Limited, a great McCarthy book that I loaned to Justin Mann and never got back.

Completely unrelated, I'm watching The Crazies tonight.

No comments: