Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Overdue post - the end of July.

I watched The Wolf Man (the 2010 one) with low expectations and was still disappointed. You know why? I can't imagine this Larry Talbot meeting Frankenstein's Monster or Bud and Lou. It's not Del Toro's fault. The script is too serious and the father stuff is stupid. The gore is ridiculous. Almost the worst movie of the year; The Wolf Man, like so many others, is saved from that spot by Jonah Hex.

I've been building up Jonah Hex so much that you guys are going to love it when you inevitably see it.

I've been watching films from 1941. The original Wolf Man movie is one of the most important films of that year, introducing a truly great character. I've seen Lon Chaney, Jr. in The Wolf Man, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. I prefer both of those other two to the original, but the original deserves a ton of respect.

Last week, I watched my first two Preston Sturges films and one Walsh film; all three from 1941.

The Lady Eve has a great cast and a few great moments, but I was uninterested in the central romantic dynamics/cons/games between Fonda and Stanwyk. Maybe Barbara Stanwyck is too naughty for me.

Sullivan's Travels impressed me much more. The chemistry between McCrea and Lake is contagious. Whenever they're both on screen, there's no way to not be interested. McCrea holds his own all alone during the prison scenes. The church/movie scene is perfect.

I loved all of Walsh's Manpower except for the end. [Spoiler]Gimpy dying seemed inevitable and definitely seemed like a cheat.[/Spoiler] This is more the script's fault than Walsh's fault, but it's too bad because the rest of the script is so smart.

I've been on vacation since last Friday afternoon and it's great. More soon.

No comments: