Saturday, August 21, 2010

Look before you leap.

Grr.  I've been happy enough writing on my iPod for the past year, but that last post of mine wasn't complete.  I had made some minor and some significant changes to what I wrote about Greenberg.  Festering dis-ease and other such rot.  Somehow I lost all of those edits to my iPod's digital belly.  Oh well.  At least I didn't lose the whole post.

Brandon, I hope you're still having fun.  Let's definitely have some On Demand parties when you get home.

Jason, have you still been posting to Flixter/Facebook?  I haven't been on Facebook in a while, but I know that you had still been posting mini-reviews there that you weren't sharing here.  If you're already writing for Flixster and can't give up that channel of writing, then by all means keep writing there.  BUT!  How hard would it be for you to copy and then paste the same content to your blog to share with us movie-lovin'-reluctant-Facebookers?  I've especially been waiting to hear your Scott Pilgrim thoughts.  And speaking of comic book movies, did we ever get a Kick-Ass opinion from you?

I watched Leap Year last night.  I confess that I am not at all the target audience for this film, so I won't make the claim that this is worse than Jonah Hex.  I will say that by the time I made it to the 3-4 minute mark, I knew that it was going to be a painful 80+ minutes.  There's a moment near the end when Amy Adams runs out to the edge of a cliff and for a brief moment I really thought she was going to throw herself off of it and I was prepared to forgive the film everything that had come before for this one gloriously destructive moment.

She didn't jump.

The real problem with Leap Year isn't that adults use the word "poo" when talking to each other.  The problem is that every scene feels exactly like it's supposed to.  Here's where we laugh.  Here's the madcap part.  Here's the tingly kissy part.  Here's where we feel uneasy about future romance.  Here's where we stab ourselves in the eyes with a spoon.

Goodnight.

No comments: