Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hungry Freaks Daddy

This is just a quick post responding to various bits from all of your blogs.

Brandon wrote: "Has anyone else noticed that we don’t talk a lot about acting on these blogs? Why is that?"

I can't speak for everyone else. I know that Chris mentions acting/performances more than the rest of us. For myself, it's long been established that I'm a story/themes guy. Those are the things that excite me. The performances are (important) means to ends. When I see a bad performance (meaning one that doesn't contribute properly to the story), I'm more likely to blame the director than the actor. I'm probably a Bressonian in this way.

Ben,

Do you have Community Seasons 1-3 in a sharable format? I'd watch it based on your repeated recommendations.

I'm thinking about doing a Top Ten Films I've SEEN Since January 2012. Maybe at the end of June, a proper six month mark.

Jeff,

Great Prometheus review.

I completely agree with you about The Bakery Girl of Monceau. It's my favorite of the Moral Tales because "It's a perfectly short and sweet summation of Rohmer's aesthetic."

"makes me wonder why you value certain "intellectual" filmmakers but dismiss others. Bergman, Tarkovsky, Passolini, and Bresson are all highly intellectual filmmakers just like Antonioni, Fellini, and Resnais."

I can't answer this for Brandon, but I'd suggest that there is a spiritual depth and richness to the one group (even if it is a "negative imprint") while the latter group represent a barrenness that does not truly edify, even when attempting to build something constructive. I could probably unpack this with examples, but it's not my fight. As you were, boys. Enjoy your cage match.

Lisa, once again, it's good to see you post something. More, please.

Chris,

You just posted your Prometheus review as I'm writing this. I bet that the Prometheus ending that Jeff would like has a Treehouse of Horror flavor to it. If not, then it should.

"If you can't be with the films you love, love the ones you're with."

This is a great line. Your whole last paragraph is gold. Except that "Love the One You're With" is a stupid song and stupid advice. Let me respond with the best part of the song, "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo." I'll take The Zombies over Stephen Stills any day of the week. Tell her no.



Adrienne,

A little while back, you picked on Ben for watching the AGOT series before reading the books. You may be in a minority on this issue in film club. I can't remember when we discussed it, but I think that most of us are in agreement that if you haven't read the books, you should just go ahead and watch the adaptation. This is especially true if you never plan on reading the source material. The funny thing is that I think that it was Jason who was the strongest holder of this view. Maybe you need to give him some lashes when he returns to the library?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, Zappa and the Mothers sum up The Wire Seasons 3 and 4:







No comments: