Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Jason's Dump Rides Again

Jason,

You need to take a break from your post-surgery movie marathoning and give us a new post.  All those movies watched and nothing to say about them?

As far as your last post goes, I haven't seen many of the movies that you listed. I'll comment on the ones I have seen...

Porco Rosso is one of the few Ghibli movies that we don't own on DVD and that the girls haven't seen.

I saw The Sandlot way back when, probably in 1993. I remember liking it. I don't follow pro baseball, but I've always liked the game and have a soft spot for lots of baseball movies.

You already know how I feel about The Avengers. Hulk Smash!


I've seen bits and pieces of the various Final Destination movies. I don't really see the appeal.

I think about Melancholia more often than most movies I've seen in the past year. In some ways, it reminds me of Haneke's The Seventh Continent in its chronicling broken social structures and in its systematic dismantling of misplaced hope.

I'm glad that everyone liked Battleship Potemkin. Film Club should be watching more silent films.

Julien Donkey-Boy. I've got nothing to say about this one. ;)

Primer also puzzled me. I want to like it, but I don't quite. TimeCrimes is more fun.

I can't remember why I didn't like Criminal. I don't remember much about it at all.

The Secret World of Arrietty is pretty perfect.

I watched part of The Castle in the Sky with the girls. I'm not sure what distracted me, but I never watched all of it.

I've softened toward Cabin in the Woods. I still have all of the same problems with it that I did before, but I can admit that I appreciate where it stands in the horror canon. It does seem proper that both Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale were both delayed until 2012 to come out at roughly the same time.

Broadway Danny Rose is a trifle. Brandon knows it.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil is going to place high on my 2011 list whenever I get around to updating it again. It's just a lot of fun.

Eaten Alive should be the official horror film mascot of CR5FC.

The Crazies wasn't so crazy. I remember thinking that it was just okay.

Lonely are the Brave only works because of that ending. You need to reconcile yourself to that fact.

I had some friends in high school that loved Romper Stomper. I didn't really understand it then and I don't understand it now. I guess I'm just an American History X type of guy.

I haven't seen The Illustrated Man, but I wanted to comment on this line: "Steiger overacts a bit in the by-the-lake scenes." Here's the general truth about Steiger: He always overacts. The man is a walking ham.

Ink. Isn't that the name of a computer virus?

I prefer Slacker to Waking Life as well.

And now we're all the way back to Brother Born Again. Which reminds me that we all need to get serious and watch Cinema Paradiso. It's harder to enforce these mandatory viewings once summer hits.

I'm hoping to watch Cold Weather again before the year is over. I've already watched it twice and a third time with the commentary track on. If it holds up on another viewing, I might have to write a "my essentials" post about it.

I haven't really had any desire to re-visit Drive. I might feel differently if we all had matching scorpion jackets. I've been thinking of filming a home movie version of the elevator scene.

The Ghost Writer. Was this an episode of Murder, She Wrote?

I haven't seen The Curse of Frankenstein, but I thought I should mention that the director, Terence Fisher, will always have a place in my heart. My very first Chasing Pictures post was about a Fisher film. I need to catch up on all of these Hammer films.

I watched Miracle on 34th St. a lot when I was a kid. It's a deserved classic.

Whew. That's it. Let's see some more regular posts from you, Jason.














No comments: