Thursday, February 28, 2013

Six Star Salute

On Letterboxd, I wrote that Cosmopolis is Cronenberg's best film since Videodrome. To be clear, I'm no Cronenberg expert. What films of his I've seen have mostly been seen long ago. I have a love/hate relationship with Cronenberg. His films seem to me to be oppressively uncomfortable and unpleasant. I'd have to re-watch them all to explore whatever I mean and defend that nebulous feeling I'm having a hard time properly identifying. Regardless, Cosmopolis resonates as a prophetic commentary on present hopes/fears related to our media environment in the same way that Videodrome probed into hopes/fears related to the media environment of its time. I don't know.

Rebel Without a Cause is a smart film. It's a shame that the parents who needed to watch this film and repent of their loveless keeping up of appearances were probably the same ones that led crusades to keep this film out of their small towns.

No comments: