Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Philippians 4:8 and Breaking Bad Face Off.

EDIT: I had to edit this quickly after posting because my MAJORSPOILER tags disappeared! They have now been restored. Beware.

Mostly, I respond to Jeff's recent post in an attempt to shame the rest of you into posting.

< MAJORSPOILERS >

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.... If you haven't been watching Breaking Bad, then you don't deserve to read any of this.

Actually, I don't have much to add to Jeff's show notes. I just wanted to insult all of you non-watchers who shouldn't be reading this.

"The great irony of the finale is that Gus's outward mutilation can't even match what's decaying inside our hero Walt."

Spot on, Jeff.

I also (obviously) love that the show often has a strong Western vibe.

Finally, I have to admit that I teared up a few times during the finale. Because I was so happy. Because the episode hit every high note just right. This may sound strange to some, but I was struck by the episode's beauty.

< /MAJORSPOILERS >

On to other things...

Yeah, I guess we have to see Melancholia. It sounds like Ben loves it. And it's going to suck to not read and interact with his post. So, I guess I'm seeing it.

Brandon, if you're reading this, how about next Monday night 8ish? I could also probably do this Thursday night if that works better for the Howard bros. But, I'd prefer a Monday night since that's the night I usually work late on and I'm used to not being home 'til late.

Let's definitely do Take Shelter. It's really my only “must-see film” for the rest of the year.

I'm also tempted to go to Cornell on November 18th for a double feature. The Mill and the Cross. Attack the Block.

And two more Binghamton Classic Films screenings...

November 12
Way Out West (Horne, 1937)

December 10
Boy Meets Girl (Bacon, 1938)

“Still just watching old movies because they make me endlessly happy.”

I second that. You guys really need to make it out to one of these screenings. It's a lot of fun watching great movies with an appreciative audience of like-minded filmgoers.

Sturges's Hail the Conquering Hero is pretty great. It might be my favorite film of his. G Men is great. Sure beats the hell out of FBI Story (that's a slam at Brandon).

I admit that I haven't seen enough Hawks films. I've been thinking a lot about Only Angels Have Wings, though, after reading a Saint-Exupery memoir that Ben gave to me. Ben, I hope that you weren't looking to get that book back, because I pretty much read it into oblivion, pages falling out as I turned them. Only Angels Have Wings does an excellent job of depicting the camaraderie among the men that Saint-Exupery describes.

Alright, I'm done.

I have found a tiny pocket of Internet in the corner of my home. I await your blog posts.

No comments: