Sunday, January 15, 2012

Restless, not listless.

Some responses

I'm going to stay out of the Woody Allen talk. I just haven't seen enough of his films to offer anything of worth to the conversation.

Chris, I'd check out The Kid with a Bike, but I'm not dying to do so. I've never seen a Dardennes film, but Aronofsky kinda killed them for me. After The Wrestler, I don't really want to see a Dardennes film.

You should definitely watch The Court Jester. Have you seen The Adventures of Robin Hood? You should watch that first.

I'm glad that you took down A Dangerous Method. I'm bored just thinking about that movie.

Lisa, more We Are Marshall posts, please. Not about We Are Marshall. I just mean more posts. If they're about We Are Marshall, that's a bonus.

Now, on to list talk....

Adrienne, there's been a lot of talk about the so-called "Jason Poole system," but we all know that that's the wimpy way. The Adrienne system, on the other hand, is perfectly valid and masculine through and through. Your mention of The Descendants is enough for me to not completely write the film off. I'm not a fan of Payne and I wasn't looking forward to this particular pain, but I'm willing to give it a chance with a relatively open mind. I've at least sort of warmed to the trailer after seeing it a couple of times.

Jeff's List

1) The Tree of Life
2) A Separation
3) Take Shelter
4) Le Havre
5) Drive
6) The Kid with a Bike
7) The Skin I Live In
8) The Mill and the Cross
9) Hugo
10) Meek's Cutoff

I still haven't seen A Separation, The Kid With a Bike, and The Skin I Live In. Meek's Cutoff is definitely a 2010 film. That leaves six films. Of those six films, each one of them appears on both of our lists. There's nothing to disagree with here and I won't quibble over placement.

Ben's List

1) Meek's Cutoff
2) Melancholia
3) The Tree of Life
4) Bombay Beach
5) The Skin I Live In
6) Trust
7) Another Earth
8) Circumstance
9) Black Death
10) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

How many times do I have to tell you guys that Meek's is a 2010 film? Otherwise, I've seen 'em all except for Bombay, Skin, Trust, Circumstance, and Tinker. Which is a lot I haven't seen. And, oh yeah, Black Death is also a 2010 film. Which leaves us with three titles. Tree of Life and Melancholia have become sort of fused in my mind. Those two films are both unique in the giganticness of their very personal visions. I'm with you in defending Another Earth against these neanderthals if it comes to that.

Jason's List

Wait a second, you didn't make a top ten list. I think I'll skip responding. I'm glad that you like The Way Back so much, but I'm not sure how it's possibly a 2011 film. It did get a theatrical release in the fall of 2010, but the studio just didn't know what to do with the thing, it played hardly anywhere, and disappeared. I'm looking forward to seeing Win Win. I don't know why I let that one slip through the cracks for so long. I'm a moderate fan of the director and the actors, so what am I waiting for?

Other than that, I'll say that, yes, I love Joyeaux Noel. I also greatly enjoyed Carion's more recent film, L'affaire Farewell.

Brandon's List

1) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
2) Certified Copy
3) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
4) Hugo
5) The Skin I Live In
6) Le Havre
7) Attack the Block
8) 13 Assassins
9) Take Shelter
10) A Dangerous Method

I put off my 2010 list for a long time because I never watched Certified Copy. Maybe it'll make it onto my 2012 list. I don't have much to comment on your list that I didn't already write. I'm glad that you put Attack the Block on there. That movie deserves all of the love and attention it can get.

That's all I've got in me for now.

2012 looks like it's going to be great. It's a shame that you guys will have all of those films on your 2013 lists.

No comments: