Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bundy Seasonal Film Festival

There's still time to check out the Tribute to Alfred Hitchcock at Bundy Museum.

To be warned, it is digital projection of not-so-great public domain prints from a cheap DVD source. I could have the same experience at home.

Even so, this is your only chance, in Binghamton, to see and enjoy any Hitchcock films with a room full of strangers. Sadly, only about half a dozen people, including us, showed up last night.

The 39 Steps was everything I had hoped it would be, part screwball comedy, large part chase thriller, in which everything wraps up nicely and tidily. It's a bit sad that there's nothing like it being made today.

This "seasonal festival" is not perfect, but it's at least an attempt at cultural community in Binghamton, for which I think it needs to be supported.

Related, I'm calling BU today to find out what's up with the Harpur Spring schedule. Nothing's been posted yet, but the season has to be starting soon (if it hasn't started already).

5 comments:

brando said...

I think it was you who pointed out that the two of us are often on the same page, 39 Steps being the most recent. I hope you and Abby went together, it's a good date movie. Movie Club lives!

trawlerman said...

Yeah, we called in the grandfolks and made a date of it.

To think that most people going out on a date to the movies that same night were probably seeing My Bloody Valentine 3D. Puke.

82jp said...

I would have never thought that I would see the phrase "cultural community" in the same sentence as "Binghamton." So, kudos to someone for trying.
Hey, I'm gonna watch My Bloody Valentine eventually. I need to watch the original first, though.
Speaking of Binghamton, have you seen My Kid Could Paint That yet?

trawlerman said...

I haven't seen My Kid Could Paint That, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Speaking of "cultural community," how far are you from the Eastman Center? I'm thinking about bringing the family up sometime later this year. It'd be cool if you met up with us.

82jp said...

Are you talking about the George Eastman house? Which includes the Dryden theater? That's right in Rochester, about twelve minutes from where I live. If you give me enough advance notice, I bet I could get my wife to make us all dinner. She's a good cook :).