Sunday, January 25, 2009

Defiance in Winnipeg

This past Wednesday night, I got paid to go to the movies again. I'm happy to say that seeing a movie under these conditions does not always mean that I'll like what I'm seeing. For example:Defiance

It does everything right in terms of big budget Hollywood storytelling, but I never felt engaged with the story. The movie trudges along over events with good intentions, but I felt like I was sitting through a movie that had been made for and approved to be shown in a high school history class, decked out with Hollywood war movie tropes to make it palatable for dumb kids.

Still, a decent enough way to kill two hours.

I also just finished watching My Winnipeg, Guy Maddin's personal chronicle of his relationship to his hometown. It is beautiful and unique, but not for me. I'm not sure I can articulate why. Maybe it was too personal and so too narcissistic. Winnipeg is important because Maddin is important. I don't know. I'll think about it more.

No comments: