Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tabloid Exploitation

There were enough positive reviews and the story premise was outrageous enough that I decided to check it out.


I regret doing so.

What could have been a genuinely interesting film about selfish people making extraordinarily bad decisions, instead gets played out as a dark comedy, presented for cheap laughs. Then, after we've had our yuks, we get to participate in a triumphant revenge fantasy. I admit that I'm embarrassed that the luridness kept me watching. There is little in the film to be redeemed. [Except perhaps a moment near the beginning- a shot of a man crapping his diaper on purpose in a nursing home, then being changed and showered - I'm not sure if it's supposed to be funny or shocking, but it was one of the few things in the movie that rang true to me.]

Stay far away.

Why wasn't that movie poster enough to warn me away? I'm a sucker.

For those who can't stay away, here's a link to a Fox News story detailing the timeline of real events which Stuck is (loosely) based on:
Timeline of Events in the Chante Mallard Windshield Death Case

Also, Wikipedia lists the news story as being adapted as an episode of the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation ("Anatomy of a Lye", aired May 2, 2002) and also as an episode of Law & Order ("Darwinian", aired January 7 2004[4]). The case is referenced briefly in the Drawn Together episode "Captain Hero's Marriage Pact" and in a parody song on the Russ Martin Show. In 2007, a film inspired by the events titled Stuck also appeared starring Mena Suvari and Stephen Rea.

And if you really want to get sensational, go ahead, you're already too far gone, go ahead and watch The 700 Club...
Son Forgives Father's Murderer in Windshield Case

2 comments:

brando said...

I had a bad feeling about that film. I'm going to watch Che soon and I'll let you know what I think. Also, I was going to respond to you Gran Torino response but I think you said it all.
How have you been pal?
I stole your job.
brandon

trawlerman said...

"I stole your job."

You're going to hate it. And you're going to miss 5. But, maybe I'll see you in the houses after a while. It really is nice out here.