Tuesday, April 5, 2011

That's Entertainment!

I'm working on a longish 2010 post, but I can't wait on this one film.

The Tourist.

I know. You saw the trailer and promptly skipped seeing it while it was in theatres. You made a mistake. I made that same mistake.

The Tourist might be my favorite film from 2010.

That's not true. It doesn't de-throne True Grit. Right now, though, I'm giddy from having watched The Tourist.

I'm not sure that I've felt this good about a straight-up Hollywood film since the first time I watched Mask of Zorro twelve or thirteen years ago.

I don't want to spoil any of the joys of this film. This is a vehicle for Movie Stars. The writing is smart. The costume design and art direction are fantastic. The thrills feel real instead of pre-fabricated.

And (minor spoiler), when Depp lights a cigarette, I almost cheered aloud. Wow.

The Tourist is a GREAT film. I dare you to not like it. You can't do it.

No comments: