Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Would Have Posted This Last Night If I Hadn't Been So Thouroughly Distracted by Absinthe, Homebrew, and Intolerable Cruelty. No Mushrooms.

I had a good time with an old friend last night. I mentioned to him that Intolerable Cruelty was the only Coens film I hadn't seen yet. He helped me immediately remedy that problem! Quick thoughts? I loved it. I laughed so hard that I was curled up in a ball and close to crying during the courtroom scene. "That silly man!" "I LOVE TRAINS!" Also, the Wheezy gag is inspired. A couple of weeks ago, Brandon and Jeff and I were lamenting the death of smart comedies. Well, here's a smart one. It's about as screwballish as comedies get these days.

---

Now, some quick catching up and explaining that I'm on vacation....

Dangerous Corner has a smart script, some good actors, and is a decent stage-to-screen cinematic adaptation. The film explores when and if it always best to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

In some sense, it's 1934's Inception (though I liked this much, much more than Inception) in the sense that it's a conversation starter. I didn't love the film, but I think that it'd be fun to argue about it if ANYONE of you had seen it, too. Alas, no.

My biggest problem with Dangerous Corner is that I have a hard time caring about spoiled, wealthy, selfish folks doing horrible things with and to one another.

---

BSG Season 3 kinda sucks so far. Is this where Lisa stopped watching? Abby described it as "like a parallel universe" populated by the same characters we've grown to love, but completely different.

---

I'm on vacation right now. My goal is to watch at least one Western a day for the next five days.

Yesterday, I watched Allan Dwan's Frontier Marshall. I'm beginning to love 1939. Between King's Jesse James and Dwan's Wyatt Earp, the seeds were sown for a lot of great historically inaccurate Westerns to spring up over the next few decades. On a side note, it's interesting that Nancy Kelly plays the "faithful woman" in both of these 1939 Westerns. I had never seen her in anything else before this, but I looked her up after seeing her in two films so close together. She had an interesting career as a child actress, starred in a few big films as an adult, won lots of acclaim for The Bad Seed, then spent most of the remainder of her career working for the small screen.

---

Watching Q Planes was a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. It's a modest little thriller from 1939 about missing airplanes. Everyone in it seems to be enjoying themselves immensely. I fell into an afternoon nap after watching it, the perfect condition in which to process such a movie.

---

I promise that I'll catch up with the 30s marathon by next week. Scarface sounds like a good next pick.

---

Now, more coffee, then the beach. Maybe Cars 2 tonight. Definitely a Western later. Ah, vacation!

No comments: