Friday, July 8, 2011

Slowly recovering from June's binge blogging.

Some TV viewing:
A few episodes of BSG.
Episodes of Robin Hood that I've forgotten to write about.

---

The Peacemaker, a preachy 1956 Western, was fun to watch with Mildred early in the morning. It follows through on the "no guns" problem-solving that Destry couldn't quite maintain to the end. Destry is still the much better movie.

---

I haven't gotten to Rules or M. Too busy. Too much BSG.

---

I did catch X-Men: First Class at the Cinema Saver. And you know what? I'm not a complete grouch after all. I enjoyed this perfectly disposable piece of pop decadence. Take that, snobface.

---

Finally, I took my lovely bride to see Le Rayon Vert at Cornell yesterday. I want to write about it, but I don't want to spoil it (even though I doubt any of you will follow through and see the film; for some reason there is an aversion to Rohmer here).

But, two things.

1) My love for Le Rayon Vert proves that I am indeed a romantic. For such a talkie talkie, Rohmer slowly ratchets up emotional tension, raising stakes in what seems like such an insignificant and petty problem (say, compared to giant alien robots trying to destroy humanity), but which is a real problem nonetheless. Le Rayon Vert is about the relentlessly real devastation of loneliness Again, I'm not going to say much. Rohmer continues his project here of stripping away the masks and maneuvering that constitutes sexual relationships generally and the social lives of restless 20th century Parisian youths specifically.

The final images and the accompanying sounds are among the finest moments in all of cinema. You're all a bunch of turkeys for skipping this one. I dare you to watch this film and tell me that I'm wrong. Especially you bozos who liked the sickly pseudo-sweet "romance" of Midnight in Paris.

2) I am definitely a blind fan(atic) in regards to Rohmer's films. I've yet to see one that I haven't liked. Moreover, I can't imagine not liking one.

---

Brandon, I'm with you in loving Aldritch. Kiss Me Deadly is awesome. I'm a jerk for not watching Vera Cruz yet. Hopefully, next week.

---

Chris, welcome. To both Chris and Jeff, did you guys love The Simpsons Movie? I don't remember seeing it on Jeff's list, but maybe I'm just forgetting this. I loved it. I even have a Spider Pig t-shirt.

---

Lisa, happy birthday! (tomorrow, right?)
May your day be filled with corny, catchy showtunes and gloriously oblique inaccessible ones, too! Buy yourself a copy of Le Rayon Vert (aka The Green Ray, aka Summer) on DVD and pretend it's from me.

---

Jason, I'm going to try to plan a pilgrimage to the Dryden before the year is over. Don't give up hope. Film Club shall invade Rochester!!!

---

Ben, Google+ is the most inaccessible social networking site I've ever tried. An artsy-fartsy performance piece challenging and frustrating our desires toward virtual communication.

No comments: