Wednesday, July 20, 2011

TV Club - No More Lousy Pajamas.

I don't care about Harry Potter.

I read the first book for a Senior Seminar class about contemporary literature. That was in Y2K. The book is fine. I read the next one or two books in the series. I never got excited about them.

I've been bored by all of the films that I've seen in the series. I'm not trying to be difficult. I want to like these movies. I want to be a Potterphile. I've enjoyed some isolated moments in some of the movies, but mostly the set pieces are uninspired and the emotional reality is lacking.

I also hate the Jackson LotR adaptations. Jackson is a hack. Brandon and I have already had these arguments. It could be that I love the books so much and don't want to see them altered. But, that's not it. I love the 12 hour BBC radio adaptation from a couple of decades ago.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to TV Club.

Chris,

I agree that Lard of the Dance is just an okay episode. That's why my post about it was only about the one brilliant line that I had to immediately rewind and play over to make sure that I had heard it correctly.

The rest of the episode is mostly disposable (though I'd like to visit North Kilttown).

The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace has some good gags in it. I like the toilet recliner. I enjoyed Homer's Edison fascination.

---

I guess I don't share your concerns about credibility in relation to Breaking Bad's plot. The entire series is in-credible. It's a little late to start nitpicking now. Breaking Bad has always operated at an heightened level of reality that can only be described as "pulpy." Breaking Bad is a genre show working within genre boundaries. Credibility matters only to the extent that we need to believe that each action flows necessarily (however unbelievably) out of the last action.

---

I saw Tree of Life again tonight. It's better the second time. I wanted to mention something last time, but I wasn't sure if I was dreaming it since no one else mentioned it. The most gonzo moment in the movie is when the penis fish chases the vagina fish. It's there. My fear is that Malick shot that sequence with a straight face. I hope not. I had a lot more new serious thoughts about the film, but I want you guys to focus on those fish for now.


No comments: