Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Daze

Foreign Correspondent is Hitch doing things absolutely right. As usual. I can't think of any better way to spend a lazy Memorial Day afternoon.

---

The Man From Tumbleweeds is an early Joseph H. Lewis film. It's essentially kid's matinee quality acting and action, but the pre-Dirty Dozen "convicts released for a special mission" is a lot of fun and the story moves along at a nice Lewis clip, rising above similar B-grade oaters from the same period. At the very least, it makes for a really nice early evening cap to a festive Memorial Day.

---

I didn't care for 127 Hours. Blame it on the editing. Blame it on the script. Blame it on Boyle. You sure can't blame it on Franco.

---

We're almost done with Smallville Season 3. The Luther/Indian/Krypton direction that the show has taken is a bit lame, but it can't be Lana-Clark-Chloe love triangles all of the time. The best episode has been the Chloe Kryptonite fog truth serum episode. It's also the most ridiculous episode.

---

I'm almost finished with BSG Season 1. I'm still enjoying it a lot. There are a lot of threads that are really interesting to me. Cylon religion. Cylon emotions. Cylon sexuality. Cylon ethics. Human survival. I have a lot of questions and thoughts about all of the above, but Ben and Lisa are the only ones who would care and they couldn't discuss anything without getting into later season spoilers. Besides the themes above, I want to say that I love the models, the sets, and the special effects on the show. They're done right. I also like the "retro" 50s-ish feel of the series which I think may be easy to miss. Seriously, these characters SMOKE on a spaceship!

---

Adventures of Robin Hood continues to delight. I'll just repeat again how smart and funny these scripts are.

---

Meek's Cutoff's run at Cinemapolis is over. I've got a few more things I wanted to write about it and a couple of minor points to respond to Jeff with, but I've been lazy and mostly I've been waiting for Brandon's post. Stupid computer problems.

No comments: